We recorded the second Podcast in the space of five days of our Covid-19 specials on Monday to keep you updated with some of the latest news, as we assist you to navigate the rapidly changing property, financial and economic landscape. On this day, the share market had its biggest jump in 40 years with the expectation of the $130b government package which was announced that night. Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews also took his state into Stage 3 lockdown.
In this episode David Johnston, Cate Bakos and Peter Koulizos take you through:
- The unaddressed impact to landlords – as the Government announces no evictions for tenants who can’t pay rent but is yet to decide on how to support landlords beyond the bank’s assistance.
- We suggest ideas for how to assist self-funded retirees relying on rental income – whose income level have dropped below the standard pension.
- Why now is the best time in history to refinance to proactively manage risk and cash flow. Risk management has always been one of our five mortgage strategies, well prior to the Covid-19 contagion. The strategies have always been counter intuitive because they include a larger loan limit, lower minimum repayment and using offset accounts for surplus funds. Each strategy amounts to a bigger buffer when supported by an effective money management system. This all leads to flexibility for emergencies, such as right now for many.
- The implications of the pending government stimulus package for businesses and those who have lost their jobs and how business owners can approach the situation of declining revenue.
- Why you should spend (appropriately) if you have a safe job and a large buffer to keep the economy moving and Australian’s in jobs. Every dollar spent helps pay a wage somewhere.
- The problem v the solution – The big philosophical question that has no perfect answer, but everyone has an opinion on. At what point does the economic shutdown leave a longer lasting negative impact from a health and financial perspective than the effects of the virus?
- Flattening the curve – how the daily percentage rate of infections has reduced and what we can do to continue this trajectory.
- Lockdown, what does Stage 3 and Stage 4 actually mean?
- Property market update – how the market is expected to stay relatively consistent for sought after property, as seen at the coal face with a slump in sellers and buyers. But there are sprinklings of opportunities to purchase at a discount as some people are forced to sell.
- And of course, our ‘gold nuggets’ to get you through this period.
We wish you and your families the best of health and say a big thank you to all our health workers during this time.