Property Investor and Taxpayer Insights from the ATO Unveiled – Exploring the Shifting Sands of the Property Investment Landscape (Ep. 256)

Previously known as “The Property Planner, Buyer and Professor”

Got a question for the trio?

Submit our online form!

Episode Highlights

1.35 – Dave kicks off this great ep with a great set of questions for Mike from the latest ATO data release: What is the average income, and where do the top earners live?

7.19 – “If you don’t own your own home, you’re in big trouble when you retire”

8.24 – Mike lists the big-bucks earners

15.06 – “88.35% of Aussies earn less than $120K, but the remaining 11.65% pay just over half of all income tax in Australia.”

21.10 – Teaser for next week’s show: All Things Townhouses

22.20 – Historically we have always had net rental losses, but what happened in 2020/2021? Tune in to find out!

40.08 – Gold Nuggets

 

Show notes

Mike has crafted a great episode from the 2020/2021 tax year data.

The average income rose to $68,289. Surprise, surprise, Double Bay came in at first $266,000 and Dover Heights, Rose Bay and Vaucluse came in second at $230,597, and Toorak (Vic) starred, but Cottesloe and Peppermint Bay in WA came in third at $229,000.

The median is what’s interesting. Stats can be distorting. The median in the top ten suburnbs is $80,000, but the average is significantly higher”

Cate sheds light on the returns lodged during the year 2020/2021 which were up 28.3% on the 2006/2007 financial year. A large proportion of SMSF owners account for this strong differential and the Trio ponder the popularity of SMSF investment.

“If you don’t own your own home, you’re in big trouble when you retire.” How much truth to this claim is there? The Trio unpack the history of superannuation and reflect on super from an employer’s angle too.

The big bucks earners start with Surgeons at an average income of $457,281, followed by Anaesthetists, then ‘Financial Dealers’ (whatever that means?!), and fourth with Mining Engineers.

Where does the revenue come from? Company tax and GST, followed by individual income tax, and only 15% is GST. Dave dares to raise the concept of bracket creep.

Mike shares a startling stat, “88.35% of Aussies earn less than $120K, but the remaining 11.65% pay just over half of all income tax in Australia.” The bracket that most Australians sit within is the $6001 – $37,000 income earners. Dave adds 4% of income earners pay 35% of tax and he highlights the sensitivities of bracket creep and the required changes.

Historically we have always had net rental losses, but what happened in 2020/2021? Cate explains…tune in to find out!

How many people earn six or more properties? Cate has some insightful stats to share. Check out our show notes to see an interesting breakdown.

 

Gold Nuggets:

Mike Mortlock’s gold nugget: Things are a little bit more complex than the media would have you believe. When you slice and dice the data, you get some interesting results. But stay tuned for the battle leading up to the Federal election.

Cate Bakos’s gold nugget: The fiancial year where we saw net rental gains (2020/2021) needs to be contrasted against the following year. We’re on treacherous territory with over 90% of private investors servicing the rental market while our politicians focus on the downside of negative gearing.

Dave Johnston’s gold nugget: The word negative gearing needs to be understood better in relation to all business activities. As Dave points out, when this term is associated with property it’s portrayed as ‘the big bad wolf’

 

Resources:

  • Ep. 55 – All things property tax – how to understand your deductions at tax time
  • Ep. 87 – Optimising tax deductions 2020 and 2021 – top mortgage and loan strategy tips
  • Ep. 108 – Understanding my land tax – Cash flow and diversification overview
  • Ep. 213 – Exploring How Government Policy Shapes Investor Behaviour – Decoding the Queensland Land Tax Ripple Effects
  • Ep. 250 – Investment Borrowing Masterclass – Maximise Tax Deductions and Advanced Mortgage Strategies for Long-Term Wealth Creation
  • Who Are Our Aussie Property Investors? Cate’s blog

Listen to Our Podcast

180+ 5tar Reviews, Over 400,000+ Downloads

Join Our Newsletter

Subscribe to “The Property Planner, Buyer and Professor” Newsletter

12 + 2 =

Email us your questions or any topics you would like to be covered off on in future episodes:
Follow the podcast on social media